More about social care and support

Understanding what help is available and where to get it from is a common concern for people who find themselves with an immediate or future need for care and support.

To help you understand your options, we’ve provided a brief guide below and links to other information and organisations we think will help.

But if you'd rather speak to someone, we're always here to help and answer any questions you may have.



If you’re aged 18 or over, you’re entitled to a health and social care needs assessment from your local authority. The assessment determines a person’s eligibility for social care support.

If you’re looking for care and support for someone aged under 18 you should contact local authority.

Most social care support isn’t free and must be paid for. The exceptions are some items of equipment and minor adaptations to meet your needs, and short term intensive support known as reablement.

If your needs qualify for social care support you’ll be asked to complete a financial assessment to determine how much you’ll need to pay towards its cost – this could be none, some or all of the cost. The assessment looks at the level of income and capital you have.

If your needs don’t qualify for social care support you’ll have to meet the cost of your care and support yourself. This is known as self funding.

You can find out more about paying for your care and support at NHS Care Choices.

It's important to understand the outcomes you want from your care and support and plan how you want these to be met.

A support plan - sometimes known as a care plan - helps you to do this and shows others how you want to be cared for. You can get help with support planning from your local authority or care provider. You can also find a range of information and resources online to help with support planning.

There are range of care and support services designed to help you live at home including:

Telecare (Alert and response) - sometimes known as assistive technology, personal alarms (usually worn around your neck or wrist) and detectors can help you to live independently in your own home. When an alarm or detector is activated an alert is received at a dedicated call centre and or sent directly to a family member/carer.

Once installed they can help manage specific health conditions, reduce response times to falls and enable families and relatives who might live elsewhere know when a person needs help.

Alert and response services are a relatively inexpensive way to support someone in their own home and are often self-funded. Funding may be available from your local authority or from your local NHS trust as part of a continuing healthcare or intermediate care package.

You can get TSA Platinum accredited telecare with our 24/7 Alert and response service.

Homecare - is care and support provided in your own home and can include

  • help to get washed and dressed, known as personal care
  • help to take medications
  • help with household task such as cleaning
  • help with cooking or preparing meals
  • companionship and social activities

Homecare can be provided by family members (who are often unpaid carers), or paid carers provided by a care agency or employed directly by yourself and can range from a small number of visits a week right through to 24 hour long-term care.

You can get CQC regulated care and support with our Homecare service.

Equipment and adaptations - simple items and equipment such as grab rails, shower mats and minor adaptations  to your home can help you to manage day to day life and prevent falls and injuries. Depending on your needs your local authority may provide some items of equipment for free and pay for minor adaptations up to a cost of 1000 pounds. Larger more expensive adaptations to your home can be funded through Disabled Facilities Grants.

If you're eligible for social care support you can choose whether to arrange and manage your support or have your local authority do this. Arranging and managing your own support gives you more choice and control over how your needs are met but means you are responsible for every aspect of your care including the budget. You receive your budget as a Direct Payment and are required account for how you spend it.

If you aren’t eligible for social care support or decide to fund and arrange you own care and support you can choose whether to do this yourself or ask your care agency for help.

Local Authority Social Services

Your local authority can provide a range of advice and support as well as information.


NHS Choices

NHS Choices provides a comprehensive range of independent information about health and social care support as well as tools to help you manage your health.


Carers UK

Carers UK provides information and support for unpaid carers looking after family members and loved ones.


Action for Children

Action for Children provide information, advice and support for children and young people, their families and carers.


Age UK

Age UK provides information and support for people (and their families) in later life.


The Silver Line - 0800 4 70 80 90

The Silver Line offers free telephone advice and friendship services for older people.



Scope provides information and advice to support people (and their families) with a disability.



Mencap provides information and advice to support people (and their families) with a learning disability.



Mind provides information and advice to support people (and their families) experiencing mental health problems.


Alzheimer’s Society

The Alzheimer’s Society provide information and advice to support people (and their families) with dementia.

Dementia UK

Dementia UK provides information and advice and one to one Admiral Nurse support for people (and their families) with dementia.


Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission monitor, inspect and regulate health and social care services in England and publish their findings.

How can we help?

0300 777 2777

We're here to help. Just pick up the phone and speak to a TrustCare Advisor or if you prefer let us call you back.

Lines are open 9am - 5pm.

Call me back